250ml soya milk
80ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
150g caster sugar (reduce if using sweetened cocoa powder)
130g plain flour (or plain gluten free flour)
50g cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4 / 175C.
2. Prepare 12 cake cases in a muffin tray.
3. In a large bowl whisk together the soya milk, vegetable oil, vinegar, vanilla and sugar then rest aside.
4. In a separate bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, soda and baking powder.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold inwards until thoroughly combined.
6. Distribute the mixture evenly between the 12 cake cases.
7. Bake in the centre of the oven for 20 minutes - make sure the skewer comes out clean when you stab the cake.
8. Allow to cool and eat plain or top with icing of your choice.